Friday, May 20, 2011

Celebration of our Marriage

   This summer, Tyler and I are renewing our vows and celebrating our marriage. We will be doing this Sunday, July 10, 2011, 2 years and 3 days from the first time we got married July 7, 2009. Now, we could've waited for our 5 year anniversary, 10 year anniversary, etc. but at this time in our life, we decided to do it now.
   Around April/May 2009, Tyler and I decided to get married in early July he was set to deploy to Afghanistan and that was when he would be home on leave before the deployment. We just wanted to get married in the courthouse and have a picnic with those who could be there after because there wasn't much time to plan anything bigger, and most locations were already booked for the time he would be home in the summer. Then, Tyler's parents suggested doing it at Angel's Stadium since they were going to an Angels game anyway. A couple days before the big day, one of my best friends decided to throw me a bachelorette party with lingerie given as gifts. I loved it! It was so much fun...we had appetizers, dinner, LOTS of drinks, some fun games, followed by a slumber party :).
   On Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 6:05 in the evening, we were married (by my Uncle who is a pastor in the San Diego area) in a suite at Angel's Stadium in Anaheim, CA.
After the brief words and exchanging of vows, we met some of the Angels staff, including Rex Hudler and the communications director. Then we had delicious Angel's style BBQ, watched the Texas Rangers beat the Angels and had some good cake.


   The next day, we went to Disneyland with some of my family. On the 9th, Tyler and I drove up to San Francisco for a few days there, followed by a trip to Ukiah, CA, to see Tyler's great uncle and aunt who have a vineyard there
    When we were married, we were only together a short while, then he had to come back to Germany and I went back to my internship and back to school. Right before he was deployed in November, he got to come back home for a few weeks. Some marriage, huh? Then I didn't see him again till March, again, only for about 2 weeks. Then, I didn't see him again till November when he was back from being deployed. In our first year of marriage, I saw him maybe 2 months, if that. For the first year and a half I think it totals to about to about 4 months.
   Now, why do we want to renew our vows, and why do we want to do it so soon? It's not that we've forgotten the vows we made to each other on that day in a suite in Angel's stadium, it's just, well, we've been apart for so long, and we want to recommit to each other in front of God, friends and family. We also want to celebrate our marriage with all of those friends and family. When we were married, there were only a  few family members and friends in the suite with us. I, I guess selfishly, want to have the wedding celebration you dream about with all of our friends and family (those who can make it out anyway).  In our "first" wedding, there was no real walk down the aisle, no first dance, no father daughter dance (no dancing at all actually...silly baseball game), no garter or bouquet toss...there were some toasts and a cake cutting at least. I didn't even wear a wedding dress, I wore a white cocktail dress from Target, which is cute, but not what you think of. I want to wear a real wedding dress, have a first dance, a father daughter dance...
   Later, in August 2010, my sister did throw me a bridal shower, in my home town of Dallas, since I never had one. It was so cute! I loved it.
   Am I being selfish in wanting another wedding? Maybe. But so many people are renewing their vows or having "another" wedding with the same person, I figure, why can't I? Many people in the military do this as well. So again, why can't I?
  According to theknot.com article about Wedding Vow Renewal: How to Retie the Knot, they answer the question why renew? Their answer, "To celebrate. Perhaps you've made it to 10, 25, or 50 years together and you want the world to know that you'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Maybe you want to reaffirm your commitment to each other after a rough period in your relationship. There's no wrong reason to renew." Exactly why we want to do it...to reaffirm our commitment to each other and to celebrate with friends and family! :)

   I have gotten some crap for wanting "another wedding" and have been called selfish. Some have said it's not fair, why should I get two weddings? What's not fair is that for the first year of our marriage he was in Afghanistan for basically all of it. What's not fair is that some people didn't acknowledge or remember I was married because he was never around, I still lived in a dorm room and they didn't see us get married, what's not fair is that people stopped inviting me out because, "oh...I didn't know you still wanted to go out being a married woman and all." What does that even mean?
   Most of those close to us have been supportive of our decision to have this "celebration of marriage" and are really excited about it! It's a time to have fun and finally celebrate our lives TOGETHER with friends and family. Having the wedding I've always wanted doesn't hurt either. Well, I can't say always wanted, because I did want to get married by a castle or something like it (hahaha...not kidding unfortunately). If I had millions of dollars to spare? ha.
  All in all, I'm really excited about this upcoming event! And I can't wait to spend this special day with friends and family close to us :) 

Here's some info about our upcoming Celebration of Marriage...
Location: Walnut Grove
Website: http://www.mywedding.com/tylerandbethberryswedding
Food: California BBQ
Dessert: Pie :) 
My dress: Can't share that yet. Tyler may stumble upon it, and he's the one who doesn't want to see or know anything about the dress until the evening of July 10th. Cute, huh?
Tyler's outift: He'll be wearing his Army Dress Blues
Bridesmaid Dresses: In the color of midnight
Groomsmen: Will be wearing tuxes from Friar Tux.

2 comments:

  1. Lady, I think you totally deserve this! Plus, I think it is totally romantic :) I bet the people who haven't been supportive are just jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm getting really excited about it! It's coming up fast! Hope all is well with you

    ReplyDelete