Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wedding Wednesday: Reception Music

I'm linking up with Joelle from Something Charming again for this week's Wedding Wednesday. Hooray!

    Today, I'm going to discuss reception music. When planning a wedding, many people struggle with the decision of having a DJ vs. a live band at their reception. There are pros and cons of both. Both can be expensive, but you can also find great deals on them. If you like a certain type of music, (i.e. country, pop, rock, etc.) a live band can be a great way to go. However, if you have a larger music pallet, a DJ could be a better option for you. I've seen good and bad from both, so it's really up to your personal preference and budget.
    Personally, I had always wanted a DJ. Tyler's and my musical tastes are very eclectic, and sometimes we can't agree, so naturally, a DJ was the perfect choice for us. Unfortunately, good DJs can come with a big price tag, especially when you consider getting all the bells and whistles like lights or a photo booth. Tyler and I didn't want those things, well, we considered the photo booth, but they were way too much. We also didn't want an expensive cookie-cutter, cheesy DJ.
    After talking to several DJs, I remembered that I went to college with a guy who DJ'd on the side. After talking with him, we decided he was a good fit, though, the only downfall was that he had never DJ'd a wedding before. Hmmm, what to do? Hire him anyway! He's cheap, he's good, and has a great collection of music. Plus, he's young, and this is a great way to start off and network. He really did a good job with the music, but he needs to improve on his MC skills. Would I recommend him? Yes.
    All in all, pick something that you both enjoy and can afford. :)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment