Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wedding Wednesday: Choosing Your Colors

    Hello friends and welcome to another wedding wednesday! Today, we're going to be discussing choosing your wedding colors. This can be a difficult and stressful process, but hopefully I can help you with your big decision, or at least give you some friendly advice. :)
    I suggest picking a base color and then an accent color or two. You can also do several shades of a certain color. Color wheels and paint samples can be a HUGE help when trying to pick your colors.
   
{Via}
I suggest starting with one color you like and/or goes with your theme/location and go from there. We chose our colors based off of Tyler's uniform, colors we both liked, and the scenery of our location for the ceremony and reception. Our location was outdoors and was a walnut grove, so there was A LOT of greens, some browns, and other earthy tones. Tyler was going to be wearing his new dress blues, which are navy ish color on top, with lighter blue pants that have a yellow stripe on them. With these things in mind, we decided our wedding colors would be navy and white with pops of yellow. Yellow?! Where did that come from? Well, we both love the color yellow, plus it was on his uniform. Yellow is also a symbol of happiness, friendship, and military support, plus, it's a great summer color. Why not have yellow? And yes, we picked yellow before it became SUPER popular. Oh yeah, did I mention that blue is one of my favorite colors? Hehe...that was just lucky. We also didn't want to do red, white, and blue...that would be a little too much. 
    Now, I'm a fan of paring a deeper or darker color (maybe even a neutral) with a lighter or brighter color, but it's your wedding, so you can do what you want. All pastels, all deep colors, all bright colors, etc. can look good together as well. I love me some coral (peach) and turquoise. Both are bright, but look great together.  Most recently, I'm loving the look of grays, tans, and creams with white and a pop color (something besides a neutral or white) in weddings. When my sister gets married, she's thinking about doing shades of purple with gray and white. I think the shades of purple will look awesome with the gray and white.What do you guys think? I have another friend who wants to do a black and white wedding with pops of red or maybe pink. If it's done well, that look can look really nice, but black and white weddings really have to be done well to look good in my opinion. You have to own that those are your colors.
    Another way of picking your wedding colors, is by the season you are having it in. With spring comes the pastels and the start of bright colors. With summer comes bright and cheery, warm colors. With fall comes the warm reds, oranges, yellows, and browns. With winter comes warm colors (think reds, greens, blacks, darker blues) OR cooler colors (think grays, silvers, light blues). Again, you should do what you want, but I think it's nice to keep season in mind at least a little bit. :) Not EVERY color has to be in season, but maybe choose one that can be season appropriate. Just a suggestion. You do not have to do it...I'm just trying to be helpful. I mean, is the color navy really summery? Ehhhh...it's debatable, but yellow can be a summery color. hehe.
    I really hope that this post was helpful. I know there was a lot of ME and MY wedding in here, but I write what I know. If you have more questions or need color help/suggestions, please feel free to contact me. I love this stuff. I even enjoy picking colors. Weird I know. :p




No comments:

Post a Comment