Saturday, February 25, 2012

My Oscar Winner Predictions

Let's cut to the chase...I love the Oscars, but is not what this post is about...it's about who I think will win. And you best believe I research this! In fact, I've seen all the movie nominated for Best Picture.
*Disclaimer* I am not fully aware of what all of these categories entail, but I do my best to research and pick which movie I think the Academy will pick. Also, I am not a member of any press or film affiliated company.
Now, without further adieu, here goes nothing! 

If you would like to see the full list of nominees, please check here.

Best Motion Picture of the Year:

The Artist.
I feel that this is the obvious choice, but frankly, it's who I think the academy will choose. I mean, I would love to see  The Descendants or Hugo win, but I doubt that will happen. The Artist is a great movie, so I won't be upset. :)


Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role:
George Clooney for The Descendants (2011).
This one is tough. Jean Dujardin seems to be the favorite (he's my second choice haha), but there is a lot of talk about George Clooney. Both men were great in there roles, but I think it's George's time.

Nominees for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role:

Viola Davis for The Help.
This is another tough one, but she does seem to be the favorite (she was great in The Help). Though, I've been hearing good things about Meryl Streep. I think Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) would also be an excellent choice, but seems to be at the bottom of the list.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role:

Christopher Plummer for Beginners.
Need I say more? To me, he's the obvious and best choice. Though, Jonah Hill winning would be epic.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role:
Octavia Spencer for The Help.
Seems to be the favorite and did a great job in The Help. My second choice, and someone who could steal the win from Ms. Spencer is Jessica Chastain (The Help).

Best Achievement in Directing:

Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist.
Now, Martin Scorsese (Hugo) or Alexander Payne (The Descendants) could also win, but I'm going with the Director who's movie is most likely to win Best Picture. 

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen:

Midnight in Paris: Woody Allen
Man I loved that movie so much. It's original, fun, happy, sad...it should win. Other contenders are:
The Artist (Michel Hazanavicius) and A Separation (Asghar Farhadi).
 
Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published:
The Descendants: Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, Jim Rash.
It's a great movie, and I've been reading that it seems to be the favorite for this category. I could also see Moneyball (Steven Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin, Stan Chervin) winning. It's my second choice.

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year:

Puss in Boots: Chris Miller.
I've been reading things that say Rango (Gore Verbinski) could take this one, but listen, I've seen them both, and I'm sticking with Puss in Boots.

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year:

A Separation: Asghar Farhadi (Iran)

Best Achievement in Cinematography:

Hugo: Robert Richardson.
It's visually stunning, so I don't see how it can't win this. 

Best Achievement in Editing:

The Artist: Anne-Sophie Bion, Michel Hazanavicius

Best Achievement in Art Direction:

Hugo: Dante Ferretti, Francesca Lo Schiavo


Best Achievement in Costume Design:

The Artist: Mark Bridges
Honestly, this is tough...I could also see Hugo (Sandy Powell) or Jane Eyre (Michael O'Connor) getting this award as well. Such great costumes in all of these films.

Best Achievement in Makeup:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2: Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight, Lisa Tomblin. 
It's the last film of the series, the makeup is great...why not? haha. 
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score:
The Artist: Ludovic Bource
It's a silent film, so it better have good music! Haha. 


Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song:

The Muppets: Bret McKenzie("Man or Muppet")
Yesssssssssss. Ok, ok, it's a ridiculous song, but there are only two choices, and this is the best one. 

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing:

Hugo: Tom Fleischman, John Midgley

Best Achievement in Sound Editing:

War Horse: Richard Hymns, Gary Rydstrom. 
I could also see Hugo (Philip Stockton, Eugene Gearty) taking this one as well. 
Best Achievement in Visual Effects:
Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White, Daniel Barrett
Um, have you seen Caesar (the ape)?! How could this not win?!

Best Documentary, Features:

Undefeated (2011): Daniel Lindsay, T.J. Martin, Rich Middlemas. 

Best Documentary, Short Subjects:

The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom (2011): Lucy Walker, Kira Carstensen

Best Short Film, Animated:
La Luna (2011): Enrico Casarosa

Nominees for Best Short Film, Live Action:

Raju (2011): Max Zähle, Stefan Gieren

Now, let's see how many I get right on Sunday! :D 
Happy 84th Academy Awards everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment