Friday, June 10, 2011

Our Travels in Paris

Friday (Day 1):
Tyler and I left a little before 7:30 in the morning for our epic drive to Paris. It took about 7 hours with a stop for gas/food. It was cheaper for us to drive (pay for gas, tolls, parking) than for us to take the train. Weird? I thought so, but hey, I'm not gonna fight it. 
On our way!


Isn't the French countryside beautiful?
Once we got to Paris, we had to find the parking structure Tyler had reserved parking at. It was confusing, but we finally got there. Just so everyone knows, driving in Paris is INSANE!!! They kind of create their own lanes...and well, it's just insane. Trust me. Rome is worse, but Paris is up there. Once we parked, we got our Metro passes for the weekend, and made our way to the apartment we were staying at, which was located in Marais. Best area ever. It's sooo cute and apparently the up and coming/happening place. It is predominantly a gay and Jewish community, so many things were closed on Saturday (for the Sabbath), but were then open on Sunday. Loved it. Instead of a hotel, we decided to use airbnb.com, and rent an apartment for the weekend. It ended up being a little cheaper, plus, we were in a cool area! This woman's apartment was on the top floor of an older building, but it was so cute! I loved how she decorated it. Side-note, there were 74 small, windy stairs to get to her apartment. Ugh. I was sometimes out of breather when I got to the top. haha...fail.

   After we set our stuff down, we went out to explore the city. We usually like walk around the first day to get our barrings. Tyler also had a plan in mind to take me to Notre Dame. Once Notre Dame came in to view, I literally almost cried; I've wanted to go there basically my entire life. They were having mass while we were there...it was so amazing...no words really.
   After that we walked around some more, we stopped and had an amazing dinner at Cafe Grizzli. Great wine too! We also sat next to people from Oakland...small world? haha. After dinner and climbing those stairs (haha) we PASSED OUT.

Saturday (Day 2): 
We started off the morning by going to the Eiffel Tower! Another thing I have wanted to see basically my entire life. Tyler was walking through parking lots, right next to buildings, etc. just so I wouldn't see the Eiffel Tower until the last possible second. Cute. It was so cool! There were people even repelling off of it while we were there. Tyler and I got excited and thought they were maybe filming the Amazing Race! (they weren't haha).
   Next, we had delicious crepes from a cart, and took a boat tour on the Seine. After that, we made our way to the Arc de Triomphe.  Then we did a little window shopping at Champs-Élysées (I really wish I had more money haha).

   Next on the agenda was Montmartre, to go see Moulin Rouge, Sacré-Cœur, etc. After some lunch, we went back to the apartment to take a break...it had been a long day already! After a quick nap, we went back to Montmartre to meet up with a former peer student of mine, who has been studying abroad in Paris this past semester, and has 2 weeks left. Man, what a long day huh? Worth it? Absolutely.





Sunday (Day 3):
The Louvre 
   Today was the day to hit up the museums. What we didn't realize until the night before was, the first Sunday of the month, all museums are free. Uh oh. Oh well, we're committed to going! First, we had a delicious breakfast at the Jewish bakery by the apartment, then it was off to the Louvre. Now, some travel blogs and things tell you that you can skip this, I disagree 100%. So worth it, especially if you like art and history. 
   Next, we had a delicious sandwich from a random cafe, and then went to the Orsay Museum. Tyler and I do love ourselfs some Monet and Van Gogh.
   After our afternoon break, we walked around Marais and window shopped/looked for more delicious wine. Dinner was at a cute cafe in Marais.

Monday (Day 4): 
   After cleaning up the apartment, we grabbed some pastries and a baguette at a local bakery, and were on made our way to the car. After getting lost a few times, we finally made it, and away we went! I was sad to go, but it had been a great long weekend. There are still things that I would like to do in/around Paris. Guess I just have to go back, huh?
   All in all, we had an amazing time filled with delicious food and wine (I would like those pastries and baguettes for the rest of my life!) and beautiful sites. While we were there, we ate only "French" food. Also, for not really knowing French, we did well! They would figure us out and flip in to English of course, but no one was ever rude or mean to us. I hear that a lot too, "Oh French people are so rude and mean to Americans...blaaah." I need did not find that to be true at all! Maybe it's because we're not rude Americans and we actually tried? Who knows. The French are nice people in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment