Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Finally Here

So, I made it. Finally! And, man oh man, let me tell you...what a journey! Yesterday was a long day. Let me paint the picture for you...
I leave LA, Monday at 3pm. I actually think we left late, whatever. Lufthansa airlines is ok, nothing to special I feel. There were some REALLY obnoxious people on the plane. They were adults, but shouting across the plane. NOT ok. Luckily, the wonderful Indian woman sitting next to me spoke up, along with a few others. We land in Germany around 10:15/10:30 in the morning. When you land with Lufthansa you don't get off at the Terminal, you get off and go on to a bus that takes you to the terminals. Once there I exchange some money, hand them my passport, which gets stamped and go to get my baggage. Once I have my two bags (big mistake fyi) I make my way to the ticket station for the train. After I buy a ticket I wait for the train to take me to Wurzburg. Mind you, I was struggling getting on the train with my two bags. Sigh. In Wurzburg I have to change trains and have only 5 minutes to do so. I thought I was doomed. But this wonderful middle-age German couple saw me struggling and helped me find where I needed to go. They even ran with me. Pretty sure they didn't speak English. Thank goodness the train was running a few minutes behind. 30 minutes later, I was in Schweinfurt. From the train station I took a taxi to the hotel and could finally shower and rest. The hotel is ok. I was told online there would be internet in the rooms and there's not...only in the lobby. Probably something to do with the construction.
    Last night I had met some of Tyler's friends and guys he's spent his past year with. That was really nice. They were all very nice to me and I got to hear great stories about my wonderful husband. I just wish he would've been there. Oh well. 3 shots of tequila and a margarita later (yes, I did eat too) I was off to bed. Though, when 2am came around I was wide awake for a few hours. sigh. No naps today!
    Random, tangent...if one more person thinks I'm German...haha. Kidding. It is kind of nice that I blend in. What sucks is that I don't know German that well. There's lots of smiling and nodding, and of course, laughing. It started on the plane with most of the flight attendants speaking to me in German. Then, the Indian woman next to me asking me what they were saying over the intercom in German. When I told her that I was American, she was shocked! It kept going...the taxi driver was so confused when I spoke English to him haha. Last night when I was sitting in the lobby on the computer (like now) I asked a man for the internet pass code. Once I handed it back, he looked at me and was like "Wow, either you're American, which I doubt or you've just learned how to get rid of your accent." I was really taken aback when he said this to me and was trying to think of a way to act like I was actually German. I came up with nothing. So I was like, "No, I'm American. haha" Oye vey. Let's hope I pick German up quickly! At least I know some.
   It's 10:20 in the morning here, I feel like I should probably go out and venture, but truthfully I'm kind of scared.  Yes, it's a safe city all things considered and yes, I can do things by myself, but I'm tired of being lonely and alone all the time. I want someone to explore the city with. Hell, even a host family or something would be nice. Ha. I guess I'll shower, relax and prepare myself for the cold and go explore for a little. Pictures to come!

5 comments:

  1. Beth! i love your blog! i wish i was there to explore with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you're there! I feel like we've talked about it for so long! Anyway I'm glad everyone is being nice and helpful, and that you blend in even if you don't speak German 100%
    Miss you buggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had an Indian woman to sit with on the flight! I can only imagine how much you truly loved that. Happy to know that you are safe and sound now, and I definitely encourage you to do a little exploring. That way, when Tyler reunites with you, you can take him to some cool spots! Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was awesome to be able to see through your eyes your trip.. I hope you enjoy your time. Remember is you need anything my buddy Janine can help you out. Just add her on fb.. I hear her mom knows all the good shopping and eating..love ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bestest PA ever! This blog makes me so happy! This is one hell of a study abroad minus the study! So happy you're finally there I can't believe it finally happened! :) We miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete