Saturday, February 5, 2011

The 2011 Academy Awards aka the Oscars

   Most of you don't this but, I am OBSESSED with the Oscars. I enjoy most award shows, but the Oscars, well, they're MY show. I've watched them most of my life, but I remember starting to religiously watch them in middle school. I even watch what people call the stupid or boring awards, i.e. filming editing, sound editing, sound mixing, etc.
   My second year in college, I was getting ready to watch the 2008 Oscars when my mom called. She called to tell me that the Dallas ABC affiliate station was having a contest to win bleacher seats on the red carpet for the next Oscars. All you had to do was watch the Oscars on TV and fill out a sheet. I figured that I wouldn't win, but hey, worth a try right? It's simple enough, right? I mean, I watch the Oscars anyway. So I watch the Oscars, fill out the sheet and hit submit. A few months later I receive a call from them...I won the contest! WHAT?! I never had won anything from a contest! I was stoked, yet totally didn't believe the lady. She told me all about it and that I would be receiving stuff from the Academy of Arts and Sciences in the mail. Only me dream! She then had to tell me that the bad news was airfare and hotel was not included. I then told her that it's ok because I went to school about 45 minutes to an hour from Hollywood.
   By November, I had to tell them who was going with me and then we both had to send in information about ourselves, submit to a background check and send two passport size photos. Worth it? Duh! So you all know, I decided to take one of my best friends, Joelle.
   A few months before you get another packet in the mail with a map and information telling you where to go and what time to get there. We had to be there at about 10 or 11 am I think. You check in, they give you your badge, go through security, get provided breakfast and some free stuff! woohoo. You sit there until 3 when the celebrities start arriving, that's when the real action starts! I saw and took pictures of soooo many celebrities! Oh man. I was so happy. :)
Joelle and I at the Red Carpet! Oscars 2009

Where we were sitting. We saw the celebrities and other people get out of their cars and go in to this tent, aka their security. 

After the red carpet portion is done, they move you to the El Capitan Theater to watch the Oscars and get dinner. I was so ecstatic. :)
    Joelle and I loved doing this so much, that we had to find out how to do it again. Later that year, she entered us in to the raffle to see if we could get seats, and sure enough we won! How lucky are we!?
    So, last year for the 2010 Oscars, Joelle, myself, one of our best friends Carrie and Joelle's mom had tickets for the red carpet bleacher seats. Life was good. We had better seats I think. We were right where Mary Hart, Mario Lopez and others would interview people. Once it all got started, Carrie got George Clooney's Autograph!!!! I was so excited for her and jealous at the same time! haha. Oh Carrie. After that was done, like the year before, we headed to the El Capitan to watch the Oscars. :)
   I honestly feel so blessed to have been able to have red carpet bleacher seats twice! I thought once was amazing, but twice?! Wow. Who, besides Joelle, can say they have won seats to the red carpet bleachers twice?! Next goal, getting in to the Oscars. :p

   This year, per tradition, I will watch the Oscars and try and predict who will win. But my predictions are going to be another post for a different time.haha. I am going to have to watch the Oscars a day late or more because I'm in Germany. It's hurts me a little. I've like never had to watch them late. Sigh. Ah well.
   Thus I digress, and will leave you with the nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards:
http://www.imdb.com/features/oscars/2011/nominations
http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/83/nominees.html




  

No comments:

Post a Comment