Friday, December 10, 2010

Time to Learn

   So, there's really not much to catch you up on this past week, I mean, Monday, I went to the Christmas Market/downtown to walk around and buy new boots. I finally got some! woohoo! I'll take a picture of them soon. I also got a cheap black scarf. Always nice. The Christmas Market is always fun too. Very cheery. I also saw kids taking pictures with St. Nicholas.He kind of looked like the pope haha. Tuesday, Tyler had his wisdom teeth out...all 4. Yikes. Now, I have not had the pleasure of doing that yet, but I hear it sucks. Though, I must say, he's being quite the trooper. He isn't puffy and says that he isn't in that much pain. :) He has off for the next few days to recover, so we're just hangin' out and watching some TV and movies and his computer. Always good to relax. So in a nutshell, that was most of my week.
    On Thursday, I went to school with Jessica. She wanted to to come to be interviewed by 14 and 15 year-olds who are learning English. They also were very curious about America. She picked me up from my hotel around 6:50 in the morning. Gross. haha. The weather was terrible! Luckily, we made it in a timely fashion. School and starts at 8, and so began my interview. We started off by going over stereotypes. They would tell me the sterotypes of America, and I would tell them if they were true or not, and yes, I had to explain several things. Some of the stereotypes were really funny and unfortunately expected like, for example, Americans are loud and obnoxious. Sigh. I knew it was coming though. The ones that made me laugh were, we eat fast food all the time, we love coke with ice and we carry guns. haha. Oh good. After we finished that, they made me come up with stereotypes about Germans. Jessica had warned me about that in the car, and I asked how mean I could go? And she said please be as mean as you'd like. Well, here it goes...you have a harsh/angry language, you're strict, you're always on time, you are modern and technological especially with cars, you drink beer all the time, Oktoberfest, leederhosen, you all are Nazis and hate Jews. haha. Yup, totally said that. hahaha. But they actually responded well and I think helped them to be more comfortable talking to me. Then, we started the next portion of the interview...question and answer. There were questions about how I grew up, the school system, when I learned to drive, my hobbies, favorite TV show, movie, singer, politics, sports, friends and dating...we covered a lot. They were so shy, but I could tell wanted to ask me a lot. The hardest part for me was remembering to slow down when I talked and explaining things like the school system. In turn, I asked them questions about growing up in Germany and the differences. It was very interesting. I really had fun doing this, and I hope I can come do it again. They were so precious.
   That night, there was a Medic Platoon party at this restaurant on base. It was to get everyone together and say bye to those who were leaving. So many people are leaving! It's shocking. Like, all these people I thought I could be friends with, nope, leaving. At least Jessica and her hubby will still be here. Anyway, if they were an NCO, they got a saber and their wife got flowers. It was nice.
  Well, today everything is covered in snow, but it's sunny. I haven't seen the sun in awhile, it's a nice change. Have a good day everyone! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment