Thursday, January 27, 2011

How I Met Your Mother and Real Life

   One of my favorite TV shows How I Met Your Mother. Tyler is really the one who turned me on to this show, it's his favorite currently airing show. Anyway, I've only really be religious about watching all of this past season, season 6. Other then that, I just catch How I Met Your Mother on re-runs. I recently decided since Tyler has all the seasons, why not start from the beginning. I realize as I'm watching them that I haven't really seen a lot from season one. Then I remember something. WARNING! SPOILER ALERT! I remember an episode where Lili and Marshall aren't together and she has to move in with Barney. But, in season one they get engaged and are planning their wedding, how can this be? They're like the Corey and Topanga of this show! They've been together 9 years and are finally getting married. Well, Lili wants to see if she's any good at her art so applies for an art fellowship in San Francisco. Her and Marshall fight and she breaks it off and leaves for San Fran. I bawled.
   Now, you may be asking yourself, why I am telling you about How I Met Your Mother? Well, here's the thing. Lili had been freaking out about getting married. She was saying stuff about how she hadn't done all the things she's wanted to do yet, how she's only ever really been with Marshall, should she date other people, etc. etc. I myself remember freaking out about similar things before tying the knot, but my conclusion was different then Lili's was at first. I realized that, why would I give up the love of my life for chance? Maybe isn't a choice. Sure I would love to grow and find myself, but why can't I do that with Tyler? Why can't I do any of these things with Tyler. I love him. And that's all I needed. Don't worry, Lili and Marshall get back together and she realizes he's the only thing she really wants and wants to do things with him alone, blah blah.
   Freaking out before you get married I feel is completely normal. It is a HUGE commitment. Things don't magically become perfect or better just because you get married...things take work, love, trust, hope, faith, commitment, etc.
   Part of the reason I may have freaked out even more was because I was so young. Yes, I will be one of the first to admit it. We were both 21, he was off to A-stan and I was entering my senior year of college. When I look back, I do not regret getting married that young, heck, I married the love of my life, why should I? Sure we spent a year apart, which sucked if you wondered, but I still don't regret it. Some may say that I was married to young, I should  have waited, I should've have moved to Germany, but I don't think any of those things are true. Yes, I could've have waited, and while I agree I was young, I don't think it was a mistake. I also don't think moving to Germany was a mistake either. I JUST graduated college May 2010, many people travel and take breaks after they graduate. What do you think I'm doing? I'm living abroad and traveling. Bonus is that I get to do it all with my wonderful husband, Tyler. When else am I going to have to awesome opportunity to live in another country and travel all over Europe? Sometimes I think, man, what would life be like if I would have stayed in California...what job would I have? But then I think, who cares? I'm with Tyler, in Europe! Awesome. I can worry about a career later. I mean, I don't honestly even know what I want to be or do.
   Thus, I digress. People, including myself freak out and worry to much. It is natural to do, especially before big moments in your life. I'm trying to not do it as much, but it's hard. Just a work in progress, much like life. haha.
   I hope everyone has a great day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment